RSS

Monday, November 30, 2009

Music Video of the Week: 'Fireflies' by Owl City covered by Yoonha85



Nearly 20 million views of the video on YouTube suggests that you've probably seen the original. So here's something a little different.

Owl City has been gaining a lot of popularity over the last half of a year, and this song off of the album "Ocean Eyes" is one of the biggest reasons why. This fellow plays a piano rendition of the song without any sort of score or accompaniment, which both impresses me and makes me regret for about the thousandth time never having any piano lessons as a kid. You can view the actual music video for Owl City's original here, but since they have disabled video embedding for some reason, I felt it was a better idea to feature this talented performer instead.

The pace and sound both differ from the source material significantly, but there is certainly nothing wrong with a tasteful personal rendition of something that you admire. I feel like Yoonha does the original justice. As I was listening to his performance, it sounded to me like a version of the song that you might hear if you were at a fancy hotel or dining establishment. You know, the kind with that grand piano in the reception area that features live music every night of the week. And that made me wonder: why don't you ever hear anything this cool or original at these kinds of places? It always seems to be the same old standbys. I'd stay at a place that had their piano man playing music like this anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment